A Russian actress is set to blast off to the International Space Station (ISS) next week to shoot the first movie in space.
Along with two astronauts and a director, Yulia Peresild, 37, will fly on October 5 aboard a Soyuz MS-19 spacecraft to be delivered to the station orbiting Earth at an altitude of about 220 miles (354 km).
Their launch will come just a few weeks after the first all-civilian crew were launched aboard a rocket and capsule developed by SpaceX.
This has added an element of competition between Russia and the United States for decades. Tom Cruise plans to shoot a movie about his space later this year.
“This movie is built around the story of a layman…a doctor who has nothing to do with space exploration and who never thought about it, is offered to travel to the International Space Station. and saving the life of an astronaut,” director and actor Klim Shpenko said at a press conference last week.
The crew’s professional astronauts will also appear in the film.
“I’m not going to turn it on,” said Commander Anton Shkaplerov, “but I still have to understand how a film is made in such an unusual place as space.”
Lead actress, Yulia Peresild, said she learned to be her own makeup artist and stylist.
- Get the latest scientific news
- Stay up to date with the best stories from space and astronomy
- All the latest news from archeology from dinosaurs to ancient artifacts
“It will not be on the same level as it is on the ground, but we will do our best,” she said. We are ready for that.”
“It’s a little too late to be afraid because we’ve come a long way, we have Baikonur and there are a lot of things (to be done) and to be honest, there is no more time to be afraid.”
Director Shipenko, who is 6 feet 2 inches (1.9 meters) tall, said his size makes training inside the spacecraft — and the upcoming flight — inconvenient.
But he said arrangements would be made in the future, adding: “It’s okay. I’ll fly now as is, but when we’re done with the trip to Mars, they promise there’ll be a better seat.”
The Russian space agency Roscosmos announced the project in May.
“Space Drama”, the working title of which is “The Challenge”, is produced by Dmitry Rogozin, head of the flamboyant Roscosmos Agency and Channel One, the public channel.
Also co-producing will be Klim Shipenko, the 37-year-old director and actor, according to the space agency.
What is the International Space Station?
Here’s what you need to know about the International Space Station…
- The International Space Station, often abbreviated as ISS, is a large spacecraft that orbits the Earth and is home to astronauts who climb there to perform scientific missions.
- Many countries have worked together to create it and they are working together to use it
- It is made up of many parts, which astronauts had to send individually on rockets and was assembled from 1998 to 2000
- Since 2000, people have been living on the International Space Station
- NASA uses the station to learn to live and work in space
- It is located about 250 miles above the Earth and orbits the planet like a satellite
- Living inside the International Space Station is like living in a large house with five bedrooms, two bathrooms, a gym, plenty of science labs, and a large window through which to observe the Earth.
The two-person civilian cabin crew spent weeks in training, including centrifuge tests and zero-gravity flights.
Cruise, 58, is scheduled to film his own project on the station in October after traveling there aboard a SpaceX Crew Dragon capsule.
The Mission Impossible star, known for performing many of his own stunts, will be joined by 55-year-old director Doug Lyman.
More details are kept, although it is understood that Lyman wrote a draft text for the project.
NASA announced plans to make money last year, and it looks like the Russian space agency (Roscosmos) is trying to beat them.
Learn more about science
Want to learn more about the weird and wonderful world of science? From the moon to the human body we have what you need…
- When is the next full moon?
- What is super moon?
- What is SpaceX?
- Where are the limits of space?
- How many bones are there in the human body?
- How many chromosomes do humans have?
- What causes a volcanic eruption?
- Which sharks attack humans the most?
- What are doomsday conspiracy theories?
- All UFO sightings and if aliens are real
- Which country has the most earthquakes?
In other news, three completely new life forms were recently discovered at different locations aboard the International Space Station.
NASA has announced that it is accepting applications for future space explorers who wish to license their names to the Red Planet.
The Perseverance Mars rover has revealed stunning video and audio recordings of the Red Planet’s surface.
We pay for your stories! Do you have a story for the science and technology team at The Sun Online? Write to us at [email protected]
“Proud twitter enthusiast. Introvert. Hardcore alcohol junkie. Lifelong food specialist. Internet guru.”