The Sovereignty Council in Sudan revealed important details about Failed coup attempt.
The council said in a statement on Tuesday evening that the coup attempt was led by Major General Abdul-Baqi Al-Hassan Othman Bakraoui, along with 22 officers of different ranks, and a number of non-commissioned officers and soldiers.
Abdul-Baqi Al-Hassan Othman (archive)
For his part, the Minister of Defense, Yassin Ibrahim Yassin, confirmed that the preliminary investigations and investigations of the coup attempt indicated that the goal was to seize power and undermine the current regime for the transitional period.
Yassin said in a press statement on Tuesday that all the participants whose names were mentioned in the investigations were arrested, pointing out that the interrogation of this group is being completed to clarify the details.
in a short time
He also explained that the coup attempt was aborted in a short time, without causing any loss of life and property.
In addition, he added that the regular forces are continuing their partnership with the revolutionary forces for the democratic transition.
These statements came after an emergency meeting of the Security and Defense Council headed by the President of the Sovereign Council, Lieutenant-General Abdel Fattah Al-Burhan, on Tuesday evening, with the purpose of reviewing the security situation in the country after the failed coup attempt.
Sudanese Army (SUNA)
For its part, the Public Prosecution condemned the coup attempt against legitimacy, the constitution, and transitional institutions, considering it a criminal act that “threatens the aspirations and hopes of citizens for a decent life.”
And she said in a statement on Tuesday evening that it will be “an impenetrable dam to protect the transitional period and the constitution,” stressing that it will not hesitate to deter anyone if they take a path that violates the law, undermines the constitution and endangers the lives of others.
A group affiliated with the former regime
It is noteworthy that the army had announced earlier on Tuesday, thwarting a coup attempt to seize power and rule in the country.
In a statement broadcast on state television, the armed forces said that the army had thwarted a coup attempt, and that the security situation was stable.
Omar al-Bashir (file photo from Reuters)
The media advisor to the Commander-in-Chief of the Armed Forces, Taher Abu Haga, also confirmed that the situation was “totally under control”, and that all participants were arrested, according to the official news agency “SUNA”.
turn announced Government Spokesperson And Minister of Culture and Information Hamza Balloul, in an official statement on Tuesday, that the perpetrators of the coup are a group of the army affiliated with the former regime, noting that the coup plot wants to turn back the clock.
“Reader. Infuriatingly humble travel enthusiast. Extreme food scholar. Writer. Communicator.”