Organizers announced today that the Japanese Formula One Grand Prix has been canceled for the second year in a row due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
The cancellation of the race, which was scheduled for October 8-10 at Suzuka, follows the cancellation of the Singapore Night Race scheduled for October 1-3..
“After ongoing discussions with the promoter and the authorities in Japan, the Japanese government has taken the decision to cancel the race this season due to the ongoing complications of the epidemic in the country,” the Formula 1 administration said in a statement..
“Formula 1 is now working on the details of the revised race schedule, and final details will be announced in the coming weeks,” she added.
Japan recently hosted the Olympic Games in Tokyo without spectators, and the Paralympic Games, scheduled from August 24 to September 5, will also be held in front of empty stadiums..
Honda, owner of the Suzuka circuit and sponsor of the race, will withdraw from Formula One as the engine manufacturer at the end of the season..
“At Honda, we are particularly disappointed, given that this is the last year of our Formula 1 project, and we know a lot of fans were looking forward to attending the race,” said Koji Watanabe, Honda’s head of brand operations.
Formula 1 is currently working, according to strict health protocols, with teams in “bubbles”, and Covid-19 tests are conducted for all individuals and the media..
Follow the sports statement on Google News
“Social media maven. Award-winning coffee geek. General explorer. Problem solver.”