The identification of victims of the Friday night tragedy in northern Israel was suspended for 24 hours after the start of the Jewish Sabbath holiday. According to the Israeli Ministry of Health, 32 deaths were identified by Friday night. Meanwhile, the first funeral ceremony took place. Most of the victims are men and boys from the ultra-Orthodox community.
According to foreign agencies, foreign citizens also lost their lives during the crowd. According to the US embassy spokesman, a number of American citizens were injured and died during the accident. Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said on Friday that two Canadians died in the disaster. The Israeli Ministry of Foreign Affairs said it was also in contact with a family in Argentina. The Israeli airline offered El Al according to BBC Helping family members of victims from abroad who wish to attend the funeral of their loved ones in Israel.
On Friday, members of the ultra-Orthodox community bid farewell to Rabbi Elazar Goldberg. Among the victims identified so far are the youngest of the dead, the brothers Moshe, Nathan Englander, aged fourteen, and Yehoshua Englander, aged nine. The funeral ceremony took place at the Segula cemetery in the Israeli city of Petah Tikva.
Israeli President Reuven Rivlin lit 45 candles in memory of the victims of the tragedy Friday afternoon, looking at The Jerusalem Post. “It is time to embrace the families and help them find their loved ones,” Rivlina was quoted as saying. “It is a difficult and painful day.” “This tragedy is heartbreaking.” On Sunday, Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu declared mourning for the country.
Video: Crowds of mourners attend the funeral of a victim of a pilgrimage stampede in Israel, Elazar Goldberg, after a massive stampede at an overcrowded Jewish pilgrimage site, killing at least 44 people in Israel, blackening the country’s largest gathering in the Covid era pic.twitter.com/9PFL7aIRgN
– French News Agency (AFP) May 1, 2021
According to the diary New York times But the Israeli authorities, and especially the Supreme Audit Office in Israel, have repeatedly warned of the dangers of holding this public event. As early as 2008 and 2011, an authority report warned that the place at the foot of Mount Meron was not suitable for such a large crowd. A 2008 report indicates that the roads leading to the site pose a particular danger because they are “narrow and unsuitable for the movement of hundreds of thousands of people visiting the site.” According to the report, modifications have been made to buildings in the area, which were not approved by the local authorities.
According to the prime minister, he has tried to close the place at least three times. In 2013, at that time, Regional Police Chief Roni Attia concluded in an official report that the place could safely accommodate a maximum ten thousand pilgrims, and warned that in the event of a Friday panic, the alleys of the Hajj site are “one of the most dangerous areas.” “.
However, the government agreed to organize celebrations this year, which, according to the New York Times, were affected by the political situation in the country. According to the newspaper, the ruling party of Prime Minister Netanyahu, Likud, also needs the support of ultra-Orthodox parties and communities.
The Ministry of Justice said that investigators are currently investigating whether there has been misconduct on the part of the police, according to the BBC. Prime Minister Netanyahu has promised a “thorough” investigation that will “ensure that a similar catastrophe does not happen again.” District Police Chief Shimon Lavie told reporters that he had taken “full responsibility for good and bad decisions” and that he was “prepared to submit to any oversight.”
Later, Lavie told AFP that his subordinates had done everything in their power during the “tragic night.” An unnamed police source told an Israeli newspaper HaaretzThe accident cannot be prevented and the police are not responsible for it.